Sunday, June 13, 2010

Girls watch sports too

I don't think my TV has been on any channel other than ESPN in the last 4 days.

I've always been a sports fan, but for some reason I've really been into some sports watching this week. Normally, my summer sports watching includes Wimbledon, and that's about it. However, this week has been a great week for sports!



NBA FINALS

I don't think I've watched an NBA game all year. Don't have a favorite team. Don't have a favorite player. However I've found myself in front of the TV for all five games of the Finals so far. Have to admit, I'm pulling for the Lakers, but I can't give you a legitimate reason why, so don't ask. Tuesday night, I was so into the game as I was sitting at the Burgundy Room, that I was totally oblivious to the guy sitting next to me trying to hit on me. He kept asking me questions, and I would give polite one-word responses without moving my eyes away from the screen. He even pleaded, "Can I get you to have a conversation with me when this game is over?" Guess I'm really into basketball...



WORLD CUP


Never been much of a soccer fan, but definitely found myself waking up at 7:30 am Friday morning to watch kick-off coverage of the World Cup. Two games Friday kept me in front of the TV all afternoon. Saturday's match of USA vs. England brought Faye and me out to the Library to watch the game on the Big Screens around other people who either cared or pretended to care about soccer. It was extremely entertaining to see everyone who dressed up for the game. Most costumes consisted of an American flag being used as some form of article of clothing. However, there were a couple of England fans in the house. Clearly the guy in the full blown British Red Coat costume was there to cheer on USA, right? Again, found myself -- eyes glued to the TV, not really paying attention to those around me or trying to talk to me. Until I had to explain something about the game to the guy who was trying to talk to me. Watching the USA game in a crowd was really exciting. Especially when chants of USA USA USA broke out. But my favorite moment would have to be when a chorus of Proud to be an American rang out through the sports bar.

College Baseball


The Road to Omaha is always exciting, and although I normally don't follow College Baseball once Ole Miss is out, I watched the Vanderbilt/Florida State series religiously this weekend. As bad as I hate to admit, I was really cheering for Vandy. Once Ole Miss is out, I normally focus my attentions to another SEC team, and Vandy was my choice. They've done really well this season with a young team, and since they didn't play us in regular season play, I didn't have any negative feelings toward their program. Since they've never made it to Omaha, I wanted this year to be their year. Even after scoring 3 runs in the 8th, it wasn't enough and the Commodores lost a disappointing loss of 7-6 to the Florida State Seminoles who will be going to their 20th College World Series.

For the first time this weekend, I'm about to watch something other than Sports. Season 3 of True Blood premiered tonight. I had to record it on the DVR though, because the NBA game was on when it originally aired.

1 comment:

  1. This was posted Sunday. Today is Thursday. Fix this problem.

    ReplyDelete