Thursday, May 27, 2010

Small Town Girl No More


I grew up in Small Town Pontotoc, Mississippi. After years of day to day small town life, I loaded up my car and moved away to college to live on campus at Ole Miss in Oxford. I was so excited to actually live away from home.






However, for reasons that will remain unstated, I made a pretty bad habit of driving home EVERY weekend. The summer after my junior year I moved into a house in Oxford, and in the same week, no longer had that pressing reason to drive home all the time. It was time to experience Oxford as a real college student. Too bad it was already my senior year. I remember the first time my roommate came to me and said, "Let's go to Laides Night." Embarrasingly, I responded with, "What do you wear to Ladies Night?" Needless to say, Lauren dragged me out of the house, and opened my eyes to the single life of a college coed.



The next two years, I actually started to feel like I was becoming an adult. I paid bills, I cooked dinner for roommates and friends, and I went to school and work. I also always made time to go out to the Square to hang out with friends. After I graduated from Nursing School, I chose to take a job in Oxford. I had enjoyed the last two years so much; I didn't want to leave. This was because I had just discovered my life as a college student, and I wasn't ready to give it up.

The past year has not lived up to my expectations. I rarely went out, and when I did I never had a good time. Seeing all of the drunk college kids that were clearly younger than me made me feel like I was a Soccer Mom at the bar. So, I think it's time to do something different... Don't get me wrong, I love Oxford, but it is not an ideal environment for a single, working 24 year old girl. Oxford is the perfect town for College Students and for raising families. I fall into neither of those groups at the present time. So I've weighed the options, and I'm ready to move to the city...


Memphis, Here I come


At the end of my current lease, I plan to move to Memphis. I think Memphis is a great choice for me because it's the closest "bigger city" to home, it will be easy to keep my contract to work in Mississippi, and I have lots of great friends that live there. Plus, I'll be surrounding myself with people who are my age and doing the same things I'm doing in life, as opposed to what I'm surrounded by here in Oxford.


Watching the sun set over the Mississippi River from my apartment will just be a bonus.




No comments:

Post a Comment